Hi parents

Below you will find the “I can” statements that relate directly to the activities that we have been assigning. These are the specific things that I will be looking for when assessing the student’s work.

Literacy:
  • I can use talk, notes and personal writing to reflect on my ideas and experiences.
  • I can revise my writing so that it makes sense.
  • I can record ideas and information that are on topic.
  • I can use strong (juicy) words to expand my ideas in writing
  • I can connect the thoughts and actions of characters in things I read, hear and see to my personal and classroom experiences.  

Math:
  • I can write, draw or tell about decimals.
  • I can show that fractions and decimals are related to each other.
  • I can add and subtract decimals.

Thank you for your participation in our workload survey. From this survey, it looks like most families feel that the assignments that the Grade 4 teachers have been assigning are falling within the 5 hours a week time frame. I realize that this is not the case for everyone. Please remember during this period of ongoing learning at home that you, as parents, are in charge of how much your child participates in the school work being assigned. If you feel that it is too much please know that you can pull it back for them, and let me know what they can or cannot complete. I am able ‘customize’ to an extent, individual workloads. I will be reaching out to families whose children are not turning in any work at all, but will not be chasing down students to complete every assignment. Also, although I am governed  by provincial guidelines as to how much work I can require students to do, if your child is keen to do more, they can go on the extra websites that have been provided.

For the science this week, we are doing an experiment about the decomposition of food. For this experiment students will watch an instructional video about how to grow mold and how to set that up in their own house. This is completely optional for your family. Mrs. Brophy will be posting the photos of the mold experiment she has set up starting on Tuesday and students can use these pictures for their observation. The pictures will be posted each day by 9:30 on the classroom stream. We know that families have a variety of health concerns and potentially limited access to the resources for this experiment that could make participation challenging.

Thank you for your continued support during this challenging season.

Mrs. Neumiller